Thursday, August 28, 2008

Classic, Traditional, 100% Completely Authentic Peruvian Ceviche - This is Exactly How They Make it in Peru, for Real

Most gastronerds credit Peru with giving us the marinated seafood salad called "ceviche," but I imagine that most coastal fishing cultures developed similar dishes. In fact, tuna poke, which is a very popular appetizer here on the West Coast, is a very similar idea.

I've already posted one ceviche recipe on the blog, called "Bay Scallop and Mango Ceviche." It was originally posted to Youtube, where it caused a virtual riot among my Peruvian friends. Ceviche is their national dish, and they don't take kindly to people like me adding things like mango, and still calling it ceviche. Apparently, there is only one way to make ceviche, and no variations shall bear the sacred name, ceviche.

I tried to defend myself with the usual, "it's my recipe, and I'll call it whatever I want." This only infuriated them more, and it almost turned into an international incident as I ignored their demands to change the name. While this recipe is much more traditional, I'm sure I did something wrong, and undoubtedly the title will be gently challenged. Enjoy!

Click here for ingredients and transcript

12 comments:

milkshake said...

peruvian snacks: I think authentic recipe should start with preping the living ingredients: "You will need one large guinea pig per serving, the fatter ones are easier to catch..."

Anonymous said...

Hi Chef John..The recipe sounds really good except for the cilantro. I'm one of those folks who thinks cilantro tastes like soap. I'm trying to get to like it, in fact I can now eat it when it's ground up fine in a blender in a salsa or something, but when it's in bigger pieces, I still can't do it. How about using another herb such as flat leaf parsley or give me another option. Thanks for all you do for us foodies. I really appreciate it.

Chef John said...

sure, try mint, or tarragon, or chervil, or parsley, or nothing at all. It's not your fault, stop trying to like cilantro. 10% of people can't taste it properly (because of tastebud issues) and it does taste soapy.

Anonymous said...

Another controversial video by Chef John, I still remember when you did your last ceviche...wow they were mad at you

Lamez0rs said...

My friend Hector eats his shrimp ceviche on a tostada with mayonnaise.

Chef John said...

That's what I'm talking about.

Anonymous said...

Chef John... I like most of your recepies but... This is not even near to what they serve in Peru... I've been there, done that... I know cuz I've been there 3 times in the last 2 years...my wife is peruvian.. trust me... I Know... sorry, but keep trying, youre doing a fantastic job with the website, ciao.

dark midnight said...

Hi chef john!! I love your recipes!! I made the bbk pork muffins!! and my family loved them! I just changed the pork, for mushrooms and bacon!!..and I'll try the lava cakes!!... I have a suggestion.. Why dont you try with the Ecuadorian ceviche, It's better than peruvian one!! lots of people have told me that!! And I think the same!! They use a huge variety of sea food in their ceviches.. and the way of preparing them is really tasty!! Well give it a try!!
Bye!!

Maria Paz said...

Hi cheff john! I looove your blog but next time you make ceviche try it without tomatoes, cilantro, and definitely no avocado. Keep it simple, the real peruvian recipe is made with any seafood cut in cubes, onions, peruvian lemon, garlic, salt, pepper, and aji limo. The secret is not to squeeze the lemon too much and always do it with fresh seafood. Give it a try, its so fresh and delicious you'll never want to change it!!

Jeremy Berger said...

Yes Ceivche is predominantly Peruvian, but many S. American and Central American Countires have versions of their own. Thats the beauty of the dish, it is dynamic, change it, play with it, tailor to your taste/texture desires. Stop being so traditional people! I think I prefer Chef John's take on it.

Anonymous said...

You should just call it Ceviche, because Peruvian Ceviche does NOT have tomatoes.

Chef John said...

Sorry, but did you read the post? I'm not sure you got the joke. I know this isn't authentic. That's why the title.