Friday, January 26, 2018

Philly Cheese Steak Dip – Fly Eagles, Fly

I was going to say this Eagles-inspired cheese steak dip would be great to serve at your Super Bowl party, but I just remembered we’re not allowed to use the term “Super Bowl” anymore, since that’s aggressively protected by the National Football League’s lawyers. So, instead of saying, Super Bowl, again, I’ll just say “Big Game.”

Regardless of what’s printed on your invitations, this easy to make hot dip would make a handsome addition to your snack table. Like all great party foods, it’s wonderful hot, warm, room temp, and, I’ve heard from a reliable source, even delicious cold. By the way, never print invitations to your Big Game party.

As I mentioned in the video, there are several approaches for preparing the steak in this. You can chop it up raw, and then brown it, or brown pieces of steak, and then chop it up, as we did here, or, if you really want to save some time, you could brown up some ground beef, which should also work pretty well in this.

For a vegetarian version, you could do this with well-browned mushrooms, which I’m guessing would be very tasty. I’ll never know for sure. Anyway, stay tuned for some kind of party food celebrating the other city in this contest, but in the meantime I really do hope you give this Philly cheese steak dip a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 24 portions of Philly Cheese Steak Dip:
1 pound top sirloin steak, cut into inch thick slices (any beef should work)
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 to 2 cups diced peppers (use a mix of sweet, hot, and/or pickled peppers)
1 pound cream cheese, softened
8 ounces shredded provolone cheese
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
touch of cayenne
- sliced baguette to serve alongside

21 comments:

Chuck said...

"Superb Owl".

Mark said...

Next up...Clam Chowder dip?

Nadia said...

amazing!! ...old saying I've just made up: Good cooks do easy dishes... hahaha it's hilarious, love your sense of humor!

jimicapone said...

Yo, don't be hating on cheez whiz else I'm gonna smack you with some scrapple.

Looks awesome, making it tonight for my poker game.

Unknown said...

Oh so good! thank you Chef John.
n

S/V Blondie-Dog said...

Greetings Chef! I'll has ya' done knows dat' being a CoWboY fan, I really, really do hates all things related to da' Beagles. But more importantly I'm just happy to see 'dat gurly-man eggplant ain't a part of da' dip. And hence your manhood card still be valid. Thanks anyways! You're da' best!

Erika said...

Please include an AllRecipes link to each recipe and video you post online! Since FoodWishes and YouTube don't have all the instructions, we NEED the AR link. Case in point: I can't find (on AllRecipes) the Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza recipe from the other day. You are among my top two Go-To chef-instructors online. I'm a huge fan and have made many of your recipes to GREAT accolades from my family (and for that I sincerely thank you)! Confession: recovering broadcaster in me winces a little at the sing-songy v/o delivery, but I realize that's part of your charm.

Unknown said...

I hope Pat & Geno are watching... HAHAHAHAHAHA !!!
Next time your in Philly try Campo's - expensive but my favorite Cheesesteak.

Unknown said...

Hey Chef!
How do you think it would be with Philly Soft Pretzels for dipping?

Walt M said...

Made this today and it was very tasty.
I think I would have prefered more Provolone and less cream cheese.
Next time, I was thinking of reversing the cheese amonts and using 1 pounf of Provolone and 1/2 pound of cream cheese. Do you see any problem with that?
Thanks in advance, and I enjoy this bog very much.

Unknown said...

As a Philadelphia citizen we like "whiz wits" Which is a cheesesteak made with cheez whiz not provolone but I can see why you wanted provolone and not processed cheese. Will give this a try, GO Eagles!

rashep142 said...

My only comment is: Where have all the comments gone?

Unknown said...

Thanks, Chef John! I was invited to a "Big Game" Party and had no idea what to make. This looks absolutely perfect and I'm sure it'll be a hit. I might use ribeye for added authenticity, but that might also be a waste of money.

You've really been a great inspiration with your blog and YouTube channel and I hope to keep trying your recipes!

Angela said...

Definitely making this for the Big Game.

Unknown said...

Commenting here instead of on youtube cuz the trolls are rampant over there.

For those of us w/o access to sirloin, this would probably work really well using Steak-ums (frozen sheets of formed beef used to make cheesesteaks at home). Idk if they are available outside of the Philly area though.

And, Chef John, as someone from Philly, I can appreciate your 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' attitude.

Eat Up! Kitchen said...

Not bad Chef John, not bad. I came up with my own Philly Cheesesteak Dip which is still super gooey and dippable even after refrigerating. I used Philly Cream Cheese and Cheddar with a bit of dissolved Sodium Citrate to keep the cheese sauce flowing. Check it out at eatup.kitchen/philly-cheesesteak-dip

Definitely appreciate your support against the Patriots. Go Birds!

Victoria said...

Purchased all of the ingredients today to make this for our Sunday Big Game viewing! Looks so so tasty! Following your videos and wonderful tips, your recipes always turn out awesome! Thank you!! Best blog ever.

Victoria said...

I also want to say I don’t think we need the allrecipes link, the video instruction is so much more valuable than weitten. (And entertaining!)

karin said...

I would put on a Silpat on the baking sheet. Super easier cleaning!��

Anonymous said...

Oh!! Now, I'm so hungry TT
I want to eat it now.
goldenslot
gclub
goldenslot

daddyrob1 said...

How come there is no "Print" button anywhere for this recipe? This recipe does look great, but I agree with the one poster who said the cheese should be American Cheese. When that melts it is the closest to Cheeze Whiz which is a staple in cheese steak sandwiches! :-{)